a premium and timeless process that presses the print into paper.
What is letterpress?
Letterpress originally started with setting blocks of type into a metal frame called a “chase”. The blocks of type would be pressed into the paper with more than 1,000 pounds of pressure. Now, we use photopolymer plates and magnesium plates to create the same effect.
Letterpress is different than most forms of printing because we’re able to create a physical impression of the print into the paper so when you move your fingers across the print you can feel the depression of letters and images. We’re limited to printing one color at a time so it’s best to keep the design simple and let the impression and your paper choice influence the overall piece.
Advantages of Letterpress
- One of the most beautiful ways to print.
- Due to the simple mechanical process, we’re able to print on a wide variety of papers.
- Tactile feel – the printed area has a deeper impression.
- Brand protection- The process not easily duplicatable.
- Timeless process brings your brand and ideas to the next level.
Limitations of Foil Stamping
- Cost prohibitive – Starting cost of $400
- Color limitations – Can only print 1 color at a time. Each color set up results in an entirely new cost.
- Printing long thin line is challenging with photopolymer plates.
File Preparation for Foil Stamping
- Vector art required with the cut line in 100% black ink
- Avoid large solid backgrounds
- The ideal file is InDesign with foil as 1 layer and other print methods in another layer. Vector files a must.
Time and cost for Foil Stamping
Letterpress costs can vary greatly depending on artwork and size. The smaller the size, the cheaper the printing plate.
Just 1: Pricing starts at $400 for 1 color letterpress only.
100: for business cards with 1 color letterpress only budget around $450
1000: for business cards with only foil stamping budget around $700
Standard 7 business days depending on quantity and printing specs.
Rush 3-5 day turnaround extreme rush options available for die cutting depending on production schedule.
This is packed with info to help you make smart choices for your project. See our methodology for more info.
Real custom printing for people that know that presentation matters.
© 2017 Nonstop Printing, Inc.